Last week I was listening to NPR report on Denver's preperations for the National Democratic Convention. As part of their story they were chatting with some Rublican representitive from Denver (sorry I don't remember his name...not only am I lowsey at remembering names, but I think he would be grateful that I can't directly attribute my observations to him.) The discussion started out as things not to miss while in Denver. Not something that you would think would garner further thought or interspection on my part.
What struck me as odd was the mocking tone he used to describe some Democratic views. For example, he said he would want to make sure that he took his vegetarian Democratic colleagues to such and such restaurant for a nice juicy steak, or to the papermill (he didn't use this specific example...I'm filling in for my faulty memory) so that his "tree-hugging" Democratic friends could see how we make paper...etc., etc., etc.
Now that he took such a tone wasn't surprising to me, and it didn't offend me per se since I'm not a Democrat, but I remember it provoking at least these few thoughts in my own head...which I'm sure I will fail at expressing in a coherent way.
Why did he use such a self-congratulatory manner that seemed to boast, "Look at me, I'm so clever and whitty?" (Sis, you'll have to help me with my punctuation there.) Which made me think futher, is that just part of the political landscape, and expected behavior on both sides of the isle, for those who participate in governmental affairs (whether they be local, state or federal)? Was he trying to make points within his own party? Which led me to this final question...
I wonder if he really thought his comments were actually helpful? I wonder why he felt it necessary to be condescending. I wonder if he honestly thought that being a cut and dry Repulblican is the only way to be. I wonder if he really doesn't see the value of the views and arguments to be made by either political party. Most of all, I wonder...did he really think his comments were going to make things better in the sphere of responsibility that he has?
I wonder why...
Tuesday, August 26, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
3 comments:
My personal take would be that he didn't have anything valuable to say. I suppose that is true of a great deal of politicians, unfortunately.
You said you're not democratic. Are you republican? I'm curious. I've been contemplating declaring an actual party in the last few years, to have more of a voice before the big elections.
By the way, the punctuation would look something like this:
Why did he use such a self-congratulatory manner that seemed to boast, "Look at me; I'm so clever and witty"?
Hey Sis!
Did you recieve some alert to tell you I finally updated our blog?
I'm not democratic? No I think I'm very democratic, just not a Democrat. : ) But to answer your question I don't identify myself as belonging to either party, though I would say that I lean towards being Republican, but I'm not willing to affiliate with one party or another and start dismissing any good idea just because it originated with either side of the isle.
I use Google Reader. It displays new content, so I guess it alerted me.
http://www.google.com/reader
You totally busted me on my incorrect word usage! Thanks for answering what I wanted to know anyway. :)
Post a Comment